Monday, March 31, 2014

Legacy

With the recent death of Bapak Jusufi (My 9th grade English teacher), many of his loved ones are devastated by the truth and it has shocked us that we did not thought death would greet him this soon. He has done many great things in his lifetime. He was known as the teacher who would always carry a cup of either coffee/tea and would spill a chuck of sugar in it. He was also known as the teacher that always carries a whistle in his hand for all of us to get into class on time (Kind of a reminiscence of the male version of Sue Sylvester). But despite all of that, he was a devoted teacher and a great man.

His recent death has inspired me to write this blogpost about inheritance. When people look up to the skies and think of their loved ones that are not by their sides anymore, what are the things that would pop up inside their head as they recollect past memories shared with that person?

Everyone has a dream. We all want to achieve extraordinary things with the age of our youth and to look back and smile for the things we have done. It is something that is worthwhile fighting for. Therefore, I have gathered voices from people that i have asked and people that have volunteered themselves to be in this blogpost. I asked them:

"What kind of legacy do you want to leave behind? What would you like to be remembered as in this world once your body reunites with the ground below and your soul has been called upon from the place above?"

Without further ado, let us see what they have in mind :)

 ✦ ✦

- Ibrahim Soetomo - 
"My artworks. I'll leave my artworks so people will see me through them."

- Alifanno M Yasser -
"The rhythm of my music. So people could feel how awesome their life is just like the way I do."

- Dimas Muhammad -
"I wanna leave all the stories I told, songs i've sung, writings i've written, voices i've spoken, and all the experiences i've shared for it is the source of my wisdom and the clearest reflection of myself. I would like to be remembered as a friend who makes mistakes, a lot of it, yet still have something to come back for. A person with endless curiosity, endless thirst of endless answers to the endless questions in life."

- Panji Mardhika -
"My artwork and my passion. But other than that, I really want to be known as the person I really am. Maybe through a book or a series of photographies that can tell stories of the things i've been through in my whole life. I am currently studying about Narrative Photography, and from looking through a couple of those examples of their pictures I can already imagine how their life is and it feels so real and raw in a sense that it is so true to the artist and nothing is made up. So basically, I want to be remembered as who I am and I am not sorry for being myself."

 - Aubrie Karenina Bastian -
"I want people to remember my foolishness that i've done in the past. I want to be the reason behind people's laugh and it makes me happy because I have made someone smile and I have lighten their burdens. And I also want to be remembered as a unique person that is unlike any other."

- Fais Arsyad Wahab -
"I want to be remembered as a good and humble person. I want to be nice to people, I wanna be a peacemaker."

- Tsabita Cyavrila -
"If i imagine to be successful in the future, i'll beat Steve Jobs! Ever since I was in junior high, my wildest dream was to invent a brand new operating system called 'Cheetah' (as in faster than leopard, lion, etc.) and also creating a brand new social media for sure. I also want to be remembered as a warmhearted person who loves sharing her thoughts and joy, and also fun to hangout with. Being an introvert in the past made me realise that I don't  have to be afraid to make friends around. So I also decide to make myself to be a better person and be there whenever my loved ones need me."

- Franklin Immanuel -
"Have you ever seen guys wearing baggy shorts and long socks underneath it? Do you know who made that trend popular? Travis Barker. I want to be a trendsetter like him. I want to create a trend that when people sees that trend, they'll think of me too."

 ✦ ✦

As for me, I don't exactly know, yet. I have a lot of things i want to achieve in this lifetime. As you all know i'm a dreamer, and I have this weird feeling inside of me that my dreams are too big for this universe to handle. For the time being I want to be a Blogger, later on I want to try make videos and be a Youtuber, and my wildest dream is to be a actress on the big screen doing huge blockbuster movies. But I would like to be remembered as warmhearted person that is willing to help others. And i want to inspire people through my creations, whether it is from my blog, the things that I say or do. I want to aspire a lot of people as much as I can. 

 ✦ ✦

I cannot help but to smile when i read these thoughts that these wonderful people has shared to me. The inspiration of this blogpost came from my dear friend, Ibam when we were mourning over Bapak Jusufi's death and we were talking about ways to make out time here remarkable. Fanno is a friend of mine that I have so much respect for being the first person to share his thoughts, and he is currently postponing his studies to pursue his dream, all the best luck in the world, bro! Dimas holds a special place in my memory because he was actually one of the few people that was nice to me at the beginning of 7th grade and i will never forget that. If i'm not mistaken, I've shared a couple of years being in the same class as Panji and all i can say is, he is a good person and he always smiles, like I can't even remember a time where darkness filled his skies, or maybe there were those days, but he has done a good job to conceal it and it shows how mature he is. Aubrie is a friend that i have shared many laughters and tears with. She is currently in Japan in pursuing her studies as a animator, even though I am sad we no longer live in the same country, distance will never break our friendship. Faiz is infinite, I can write more than a thousand words when it comes to describing him but it'll eat up a lot of space in this post. Tsabita is a friend of mine that i find comfort in, she's mature, caring, loving and overall, a special person that is close to my heart. And last but certainly not least, Franklin is one of the first person that i met outside of my class in Uni, he's a good listener, there were moments where i cried at night and he comforts me and makes me feel so much better because I have a friend that listens to my stories.

"Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you." 

Shannon L. Alder 

Thank you for reading my blog :) it has been a huge pleasure to share my words and others to inspire :) I hope you all will create a beautiful legacy in this life.

xoxo,
Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment